In This Article:
- Definition of web hosting.
- Definition of domain name.
- Types of web hosting.
- Some reliable web hosting services.
In the previous article we talked about how to start a blog. The first was to acquire a domain name. After that, pay for web hosting. We revisit the definitions of domain names and web hosting.
A domain name refers to the address of the website on the internet. This means, what you type in your web browser to view the site’s content. Next, we define web hosting. Web hosting means renting a space on the internet where your website will live. A web host is a company or person that rents the space you pay for.
In this article we are going to discuss only about web hosting. We do so because, most web hosts offer free domain names on sign up. The web host I use for this website offers a free domain name on sign up.
Types Of Web Hosting:
There a 5 main types of web hosting. Each one of them depends on many factors. Such as, your capital at start and your goals. In the next lines, I will outline the 5 main web hosting types:
- Free hosting ($0): Web hosting services like Blogger.com and WordPress.com offer this hosting type. Here, you do not pay anything. Your site is hosted for free. You can use this to jump start your campaign when you do not want to spend much at first. The main problem here is that the functionalities are limited. Also, they offer free domain names. But those names have bad extensions. Such as .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com. Using a business website named www.example.blogspot.com is unprofessional. Also, it can hurt your business on the long run. I recommend you avoid this if you want to monetise your blog.
- Shared hosting ($4 to $20/month): Web hosting services such as bluehost.com and hostgator.com offer this. This is the most common kind of hosting.Here, a web hosting server hosts many websites at a time. This is the best type of hosting for a blog.
- VPS (Virtual Private Servers) ($30 to $40/month): Again a large server will host several websites but this time, the sites are strongly isolated from each other as if they were actually on different servers. This is recommended if you have high security constraints.
- Dedicated Servers ($79 to $399/month): Here you get a whole physical server for yourself. That is very comfortable, fast and secure… but pricey!
- Cloud Hosting (Prices all over the place) : in this case your website shares an array of servers with other sites. This means that your site is not limited to the power of a single server. Also, the resources allocated to it can row and shrink on demand depend on how much traffic you get. This is interesting only for very large sites. If you’re just starting out you probably don’t want to get in to the complexity of such a solution.
When you choose your web host, sign up on their website and then follow the steps. For a blogger looking to monetise his blog, I suggest shared hosting. You will have enough space and tools. In addition to that you can afford it easily. Check out a list of the recommended web hosts and their prices.
It is easy to get your site hosted. Plus, it is cheap. I recommend you use shared hosting to host your blog. I used bluehost.com. Because, it is one of the cheapest web hosting services. Also, it is easy to use. Take the time to go along the list of web hosting services. After that, make your choice. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more tips on how to make money online with affiliate marketing.